Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Holiday!

I think its quite weird that when i want to write something I don't get the time and wen I've all the time in the world I simply don't feel like writing. Its really weird but then i guess thats how Iam.I am sick and tired of sitting idle at home.The sweltering heat in kolkata rules out the possiblilty of going out anywhere.Iam definitely not intersted in going to my relatives in order to dodge the age old questions regarding what will i do Next.Please for God's sake give me a break......
Since i have nothing else on earth to do,I've been reading a lot.I just finished reading the complete collection of short stories by Tagore. Iam dumbstruck by the simlpicity,novelty and the sheer boldness of these stoies which were written long back.The language is comparitively easier for me to understand considering my dismal bengali :) .The novels by Tagore are even better.I absolutely loved them.One of my favourites is titled 'Gora'.I suggest that its a must read stuff......
Next Iam planning to read short stories by Prem Chand.I think i had read some of it while in school but don't remember much of it.So,hope it will be a great experience as well. I realise that nothing gives me more happiness than curling up with a book on my bed late at nights....it just sets the mood. I read another interesting book titled 'Durgesh Nandini' by Bankim Chandra Chattopadhay.Sounds embarrasing but I wanted to check out if a serial being aired on TV was based on that.I realised that it was not.Nevertheless,its a short and simple story set in the mughal period. The plot is slightly hackneyed but still i liked it. Inspite of reading all these classics I simply adore anything by Agatha Christie.The mystries leave me completely baffled. One of my earnest desires is to have a complete collection of Agatha Christie after I start working. Amen!
I guess there is nothing else I can write, so chao! next post will be hopefully about the short stories by Prem Chand..........

3 comments:

sameer said...

hey.. i had given up choker bali half way down. after reading your review i guess i should give it another shot :) waiting for your next post

olivia said...

I am glad that u took up reading it again after my going thru my humble post....I think its worth giving a try coz these novels were written in the last century but are still relevant in today's age...My advice read 'Gora' if u can...I have the bengali version which I can't lend u :)
The next post will get delayed courtesy our PJA :D

nebish said...

i identified with what you said at the beginning, about wanting to write when you are really busy with other things, but when you are free, you don't feel like writing, right? and i thought i was the only reaallly lazy person in the world!
i think i was lucky, very lucky to be born a bengali, because i can enjoy all those wonderful pearls strewn across the bengali literary field. but don't stop at tagore, there are others, lesser known, but at least as good if not better than him in their respective fields. what separated tagore from the others was his versatility, his mastery of so many artistic disciplines.
enough said.